Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Angélique Kidjo Makes History as First African Musician to Receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

    August 20, 2026

    Davido and Wande Coal Clash Over Unreleased Song as Singer Fires Back at OBO

    August 20, 2026

    Veteran Nollywood Actor Sunday Afolabi Opens Up About Struggling to Survive

    August 20, 2026
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Yocharley
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    • Home
    • General News
    • Entertainment
    • Business
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • International News
    Yocharley
    Home » Nigerian Military denies civilian deaths in Niger State airstrikes
    Africa

    Nigerian Military denies civilian deaths in Niger State airstrikes

    By Rebecca EsonMay 11, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Nigeria’s military has denied reports that civilians were killed during recent airstrikes targeting suspected bandits in parts of Niger State, insisting that the operation was intelligence-driven and focused solely on militant hideouts.

    In a statement issued on Monday, Defence spokesperson Michael Onoja said the drone strikes were carried out overnight between May 9 and 10 in the villages of Katerma, Bokko, Kusasu and Kuduru within the Shiroro district.

    According to the military, intelligence gathered before the operation indicated that armed criminal groups, commonly referred to locally as bandits, were assembling in the area to coordinate planned attacks.

    The military said the strikes successfully targeted identified militant enclaves and achieved their intended objectives.

    Onoja disclosed that at least 70 suspected bandits were killed in Kusasu alone, adding that post-strike surveillance later detected surviving fighters regrouping and moving toward nearby Zango village on more than 200 motorcycles.

    The statement comes amid renewed scrutiny over the humanitarian impact of military air operations in Nigeria’s conflict-affected regions.

    Recent local media reports alleged that civilians may have been among those affected by the latest strikes, reigniting concerns over civilian safety during counterinsurgency operations.

    Nigeria continues to battle multiple security threats, including widespread banditry in the northwest and a prolonged Islamist insurgency in the northeast that has lasted for more than 17 years.

    The debate over civilian casualties intensified following reports last month that military aircraft mistakenly struck a village market in northeastern Nigeria while pursuing suspected Islamist militants, resulting in significant loss of life.

    Responding to the latest allegations, the Defence Headquarters maintained that residents had reportedly relocated from the targeted communities before the operation, reducing the likelihood of civilian presence during the strikes.

    However, the military did not indicate whether formal warnings were issued to residents before the operation commenced.

    Authorities also confirmed that field units have been instructed to investigate any allegations of civilian harm linked to the operation.

    The latest development highlights the continuing challenge faced by Nigerian security forces in balancing aggressive counterterrorism operations with the protection of civilian populations in volatile regions.

    Previous ArticleKoku Anyidoho insists he remains a member of the NDC
    Next Article Elderly man in Sakumono demolition video receives two-year housing support from church
    Avatar photo
    Rebecca Eson

    Rebecca Esson is a lifestyle and human-interest writer passionate about stories that reflect everyday experiences. She explores relationships, social behaviour and evolving youth culture with depth and empathy. Her work connects real-life moments to broader societal themes, creating content that resonates beyond headlines.

    Related Posts

    Entertainment

    Angélique Kidjo Makes History as First African Musician to Receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

    August 20, 2026
    Entertainment

    Davido and Wande Coal Clash Over Unreleased Song as Singer Fires Back at OBO

    August 20, 2026
    Entertainment

    Veteran Nollywood Actor Sunday Afolabi Opens Up About Struggling to Survive

    August 20, 2026
    Entertainment

    Nollywood Icon Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out for Help as Actor Battles Stage 4 Cancer

    August 18, 2026
    Entertainment

    BBNaija Season 11: Neche Voluntarily Leaves the Show After Just 22 Days

    August 18, 2026
    Entertainment

    Ayra Starr Says Money Is Her Love Language “I Like All Love Languages”

    August 17, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Angélique Kidjo Makes History as First African Musician to Receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

    By MIchelle DanielsAugust 20, 20260

    Five-time Grammy winner Angélique Kidjo has reached another major milestone, becoming the first African musician…

    Davido and Wande Coal Clash Over Unreleased Song as Singer Fires Back at OBO

    August 20, 2026

    Veteran Nollywood Actor Sunday Afolabi Opens Up About Struggling to Survive

    August 20, 2026

    Nollywood Icon Ogogo’s Daughters Cry Out for Help as Actor Battles Stage 4 Cancer

    August 18, 2026
    @2025 Yocharley, Designed by Adoit360.
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Fact-Checking Policy
    • Editorial Policy

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.