A truck carrying Ghanaian tomato traders has reportedly been caught up in a terrorist attack in Burkina Faso, raising fresh concerns about the safety of traders who travel across borders for business.
According to Ghana’s Ministry of the Interior and National Security, the attack happened in Titao on Saturday, February 14, 2026. The truck, which was transporting tomato merchants from Ghana, was said to have been caught in the violence.In a press release signed by the Interior Minister, Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, the government described the news as “disturbing.”
The Government of Ghana has received disturbing information from Burkina Faso of a truck carrying tomato traders from Ghana, which was caught in a terrorist attack in Titao,” the statement said. So far, another report indicates that seven people have been confirmed dead, although it is not yet clear how many of them are Ghanaian nationals.
The Ministry says Ghana’s Embassy in Burkina Faso is already on the ground, working closely with local authorities to gather more details and identify any Ghanaians affected.“The Ghana Embassy in Burkina Faso is liaising with officials of Burkina Faso to visit the attack site for details and identification of Ghanaians caught in the attack,” the statement added.
Officials say the public will be updated as soon as more verified information becomes available. The incident comes at a time when parts of the Sahel region continue to face growing security threats, with terrorist attacks becoming increasingly frequent. For many young Ghanaians who see cross-border trade especially in food commodities like tomatoes as a key hustle, this development is both heartbreaking and worrying.