Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    May 19, 2026

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Yocharley
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    • Home
    • General News
    • Entertainment
    • Business
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • International News
    Yocharley
    Home » Musk vows appeal after losing OpenAI lawsuit amid string of court setbacks
    Artificial Intelligence

    Musk vows appeal after losing OpenAI lawsuit amid string of court setbacks

    By Constance AwunorMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Elon Musk has suffered another major courtroom defeat after a California jury dismissed his lawsuit against OpenAI and its chief executive Sam Altman, adding to a growing list of recent legal setbacks for the billionaire entrepreneur.

    The unanimous jury verdict found that Musk waited too long to file the lawsuit, meaning the statute of limitations on his claims had expired before the case reached court.

    Musk had accused OpenAI and Altman of betraying the organisation’s original non-profit mission after transitioning the company into a for-profit business. He claimed Altman deceived him into donating $38 million to OpenAI in its early days before allegedly abandoning its commitment to developing artificial intelligence for the benefit of humanity.

    Jurors deliberated for about two hours after a three-week trial that featured testimony from Musk, Altman and other top technology executives, including Satya Nadella. Musk had also accused Microsoft of helping OpenAI make what he described as an improper transition to a profit-driven structure.

    Following the ruling, Microsoft said the timeline and facts surrounding the case had “long been clear” and reiterated its commitment to working with OpenAI.

    The verdict marks the latest in a difficult stretch for Musk in court. In recent months, he agreed to settlements with former Twitter executives and thousands of ex-employees of X over compensation disputes. He also lost a separate case brought by Twitter investors who accused him of misleading them during his takeover of the platform.

    Another judge earlier this year dismissed Musk’s lawsuit against advertisers that left X, while a separate ruling reversed actions taken by Doge, the government cost-cutting department Musk helped establish and lead last year.

    Despite the setback, Musk has vowed to continue the legal battle. In posts on X, he criticised the ruling as a “calendar technicality” and insisted the jury never considered the substance of his claims because the filing deadline had already passed.

    “This war is not over,” Musk’s lawyer Marc Toberoff said outside the courthouse, confirming plans to appeal the decision.

    Legal experts, however, believe overturning the verdict may prove difficult.

    Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, described the ruling as a highly fact-specific jury decision, making a successful appeal unlikely.

    Appellate lawyer Raffi Melkonian also noted that appeals of jury verdicts are traditionally difficult to win, especially when both the jury and trial judge agree on the outcome.

    During the trial, Musk argued that the case was fundamentally about protecting charitable institutions from abuse.

    “It’s not OK to steal a charity,” Musk told the court. “If it’s okay to loot a charity, the entire foundation of charitable giving will be destroyed.”

    Altman, however, rejected Musk’s claims and testified that Musk had once supported OpenAI becoming a for-profit entity and even sought long-term control of the company himself.

    The legal clash highlighted the deepening rivalry between the two tech figures, who co-founded OpenAI in 2015 before Musk departed from the company in 2018 after disagreements over leadership and direction.

    As OpenAI gained global prominence through the success of ChatGPT, Musk increasingly became one of its most vocal critics.

    OpenAI spokesperson Sam Singer described the verdict as a “tremendous victory,” accusing Musk of using the lawsuit to slow down a competitor.

    Observers say the courtroom battle has damaged the public image of both billionaires, with conflict resolution expert Sarah Federman comparing the feud to “Godzilla taking on King Kong.”

    While Musk’s aggressive legal strategy continues to generate headlines, analysts say the latest loss shows even the world’s richest man is not immune from setbacks in court.

    #Chatgpt Artificial Intelligence elon musk microsoft OpenAI Sam Altman US Courts
    Previous ArticleKofi Adams tasks Queiroz to revive Black Stars ahead of World Cup
    Next Article NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
    Avatar photo
    Constance Awunor

    Constance Awunor specializes in business, finance and economic developments across Ghana and beyond. She focuses on market trends, entrepreneurship and policies affecting young professionals and emerging industries. Her writing simplifies complex financial topics, empowering readers to stay informed and make smarter decisions. Constance graduated from University of Cape Coast with a degree in Communication Studies. Connect with her at constance@yocharley.com

    Related Posts

    Featured

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    May 19, 2026
    business

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026
    Featured

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026
    business

    GIPS welcomes value for money law, pushes for Procurement Practicing Bill

    May 19, 2026
    Ebola

    WHO to hold emergency meeting as Ebola deaths rise to 131

    May 19, 2026
    Accident and Safety

    GNFS contains fire outbreak at Coral Paint headquarters in Adabraka

    May 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    By Constance AwunorMay 19, 20260

    A birthday message from Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor to Ebi Bright has sparked widespread reactions on social…

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026

    Musk vows appeal after losing OpenAI lawsuit amid string of court setbacks

    May 19, 2026
    @2025 Yocharley, Designed by Adoit360.
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.