The World Health Organization will hold an emergency committee meeting as deaths from the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo continue to rise.
Health officials say the death toll has increased to 131 from 513 suspected cases.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said he is deeply concerned about the speed and scale of the outbreak.
He announced at the World Health Assembly that the WHO had declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
The outbreak has already spread from the Democratic Republic of Congo into Uganda.
The WHO Emergency Committee, made up of international health experts, is expected to discuss possible vaccine options during Tuesday’s meeting.
Officials say the current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which has no approved vaccine or treatment.
The strain can kill up to 50 percent of infected patients.
The outbreak’s epicentre is in Ituri province in northeastern Congo near the borders with Uganda and South Sudan.
Health officials say constant movement across borders has increased the risk of wider transmission.
The virus has already spread to nearby provinces located about 200 kilometres from the original outbreak area.
WHO officials say more medical supplies are arriving in the DRC to support the response.
Anne Ancia, the WHO representative in Ituri province, said the agency had already sent 12 tons of supplies and expected another six tons to arrive on Tuesday.
The shipment includes protective equipment for frontline health workers and testing materials. Meanwhile, Germany is preparing to admit a United States citizen who contracted Ebola while working in the DRC.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the patient tested positive on Sunday after exposure linked to work activities in Congo.
