Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Peller Finally Gets ₦300 Million G-Wagon After Publicly Asking for One

    August 17, 2026

    ShattaFest UK Controversy Continues as Questions Surround the Cancelled Shatta Wale Event

    August 17, 2026

    Nana Ama McBrown Turns 49 in Grand Style as She Celebrates 25 Years in Ghana’s Entertainment Industry

    August 17, 2026
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Yocharley
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    • Home
    • General News
    • Entertainment
    • Business
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • International News
    Yocharley
    Home » 74% of returned Ghanaians overstayed Visas in South Africa – Minister
    Africa

    74% of returned Ghanaians overstayed Visas in South Africa – Minister

    By Constance AwunorJune 10, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    South Africa’s Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ronald Lamola, says nearly 74% of Ghanaians who recently returned home had overstayed their visas and breached the country’s immigration laws.

    According to him, South African authorities followed legal procedures before declaring the affected individuals undesirable.

    Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on June 10, Mr Lamola said immigration records showed that most of the returned Ghanaians had exceeded their permitted stay.

    “As I’ve said earlier on, with the bulk of all Ghanaians that have come back home, almost 74% had overstayed, and they had been declared undesirable through our processes, and this is the law, and this has been communicated to the High Commissioner,” he said.

    He explained that South Africa enforced its immigration laws while ensuring that due process was followed.

    Despite the immigration violations, Mr Lamola stressed that South Africa remains committed to protecting all people living within its borders, including Ghanaian nationals.

    “We are indeed protecting all people within the borders of South Africa. Constitutionally, we are duty-bound to protect everyone, including Ghanaian nationals,” he stated.

    He noted that many Ghanaians contribute significantly to South Africa’s economy and society.

    “There is a huge number of them in the various sectors of our economy. The South African government is duty-bound to ensure that they feel safe and they play their role as they are supposed to be in the country,” he added.

    Mr Lamola emphasised that constitutional rights and protections apply to everyone living in South Africa, regardless of their immigration status.

    “The Constitution does not differentiate. The government has got the responsibility to make sure that everyone is safe,” he said.

    He added that the government would continue to uphold these protections while addressing immigration-related concerns.

    The minister also condemned attacks on foreign nationals and reaffirmed the government’s responsibility to protect all residents.

    “It is for that reason why we are condemning the violence against foreign nationals, because it is our duty as the government of South Africa to protect everyone within our borders,” he explained.

    At the same time, he said authorities would continue to tackle irregular migration through the strict enforcement of immigration laws.

    “We also have a duty to deal with irregular migration by enforcing the immigration policy,” Mr Lamola said.

    Deportation Ghana Ronald Lamola South Africa
    Previous ArticleBanned Somali referee vows to officiate at 2030 World Cup after US deportation
    Next Article UTAG threatens nationwide strike over delay in book and research allowance rate
    Avatar photo
    Constance Awunor

    Constance Awunor specializes in business, finance and economic developments across Ghana and beyond. She focuses on market trends, entrepreneurship and policies affecting young professionals and emerging industries. Her writing simplifies complex financial topics, empowering readers to stay informed and make smarter decisions. Constance graduated from University of Cape Coast with a degree in Communication Studies. Connect with her at constance@yocharley.com

    Related Posts

    Entertainment

    Peller Finally Gets ₦300 Million G-Wagon After Publicly Asking for One

    August 17, 2026
    Entertainment

    ShattaFest UK Controversy Continues as Questions Surround the Cancelled Shatta Wale Event

    August 17, 2026
    Entertainment

    Nana Ama McBrown Turns 49 in Grand Style as She Celebrates 25 Years in Ghana’s Entertainment Industry

    August 17, 2026
    Entertainment

    Stonebwoy’s Wembley Show Sparks Fresh Debate Online Fans Question Arena Attendance

    August 17, 2026
    Entertainment

    Nollywood Movie ‘Call of My Life’ Wins Major Audience Award at BlackStar Film Festival

    August 14, 2026
    Entertainment

    Bobrisky Reacts to Women Flooding His DMs With Marriage Proposals: “I Have What You Have”

    August 14, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Peller Finally Gets ₦300 Million G-Wagon After Publicly Asking for One

    By MIchelle DanielsAugust 17, 20260

    The Nigerian TikTok star has received a brand-new 2026 Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon just days after publicly…

    ShattaFest UK Controversy Continues as Questions Surround the Cancelled Shatta Wale Event

    August 17, 2026

    Nana Ama McBrown Turns 49 in Grand Style as She Celebrates 25 Years in Ghana’s Entertainment Industry

    August 17, 2026

    Stonebwoy’s Wembley Show Sparks Fresh Debate Online Fans Question Arena Attendance

    August 17, 2026
    @2025 Yocharley, Designed by Adoit360.
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Fact-Checking Policy
    • Editorial Policy

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.