Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    May 19, 2026

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    Yocharley
    X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube TikTok
    • Home
    • General News
    • Entertainment
    • Business
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • International News
    Yocharley
    Home » Keir Starmer welcomes Iran–United States ceasefire as talks turn to peace
    Featured

    Keir Starmer welcomes Iran–United States ceasefire as talks turn to peace

    By Constance AwunorApril 8, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Keir Starmer has welcomed a newly agreed ceasefire between Iran and the United States as he travels to meet Gulf leaders, saying the deal offers a moment of relief after weeks of escalating conflict.

    Downing Street said the prime minister will use the trip to discuss how international partners can help maintain and strengthen the ceasefire. He is expected to return to the UK on Friday.

    The agreement follows a stark warning from Donald Trump, who said “a whole civilisation will die” if Iran refused to end hostilities and reopen the vital Strait of Hormuz. In response, UK officials had reiterated calls for de-escalation.

    Starmer said the ceasefire should now be turned into a lasting settlement: “Together with our partners, we must do all we can to support and sustain this agreement and ensure the Strait of Hormuz is reopened.”

    As part of his visit, he is also expected to meet British military personnel stationed in the region. The trip had been planned before the ceasefire was announced.

    From the opposition, James Cleverly described the pause in fighting as a critical opportunity for Iran to reconsider its actions domestically and internationally. He stressed that preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons remains a top priority and said the two-week ceasefire period “must not be wasted.”

    The UK has already been working with allies on post-conflict security in the region. Last week, it hosted a virtual summit involving representatives from over 40 countries to begin forming a coalition to safeguard the Strait after the fighting ends. A military planning conference followed on Tuesday.

    Iran and the US reached the conditional agreement just over an hour before a deadline set by Trump. Posting on Truth Social, he said the ceasefire depends on Iran ensuring the “complete, immediate, and safe” reopening of the Strait.

    Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, confirmed Tehran would honour the ceasefire provided attacks against Iran stop. He added that safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz would be guaranteed for two weeks.

    The conflict began in February when the United States and Israel carried out coordinated strikes on Iran, citing concerns that Tehran was accelerating efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

    Donald Trump Iran Keir Starmer Middle East Strait of Hormuz
    Previous ArticleTourist arrivals in Morocco rise 7% in first quarter
    Next Article GPRTU warns of fare chaos over VIP’s planned 25% hike
    Avatar photo
    Constance Awunor

    Constance Awunor specializes in business, finance and economic developments across Ghana and beyond. She focuses on market trends, entrepreneurship and policies affecting young professionals and emerging industries. Her writing simplifies complex financial topics, empowering readers to stay informed and make smarter decisions. Constance graduated from University of Cape Coast with a degree in Communication Studies. Connect with her at constance@yocharley.com

    Related Posts

    Featured

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    May 19, 2026
    business

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026
    Featured

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026
    Artificial Intelligence

    Musk vows appeal after losing OpenAI lawsuit amid string of court setbacks

    May 19, 2026
    business

    GIPS welcomes value for money law, pushes for Procurement Practicing Bill

    May 19, 2026
    Ebola

    WHO to hold emergency meeting as Ebola deaths rise to 131

    May 19, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sparks social media surprise

    By Constance AwunorMay 19, 20260

    A birthday message from Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor to Ebi Bright has sparked widespread reactions on social…

    AMA rejects claims of forceful eviction at Makola market

    May 19, 2026

    NDC using arrests to silence critics – Oppong Nkrumah alleges

    May 19, 2026

    Musk vows appeal after losing OpenAI lawsuit amid string of court setbacks

    May 19, 2026
    @2025 Yocharley, Designed by Adoit360.
    • Home
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.