Author: Constance Awunor
Constance Awunor specializes in business, finance and economic developments across Ghana and beyond. She focuses on market trends, entrepreneurship and policies affecting young professionals and emerging industries. Her writing simplifies complex financial topics, empowering readers to stay informed and make smarter decisions. Constance graduated from University of Cape Coast with a degree in Communication Studies. Connect with her at constance@yocharley.com
The Minority in Parliament has accused the government of delaying the imprisonment of former Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC) Chief Executive Officer, Sedina Tamakloe Attionu, after her extradition to Ghana. According to the Minority, Ms Tamakloe only began serving her 10-year prison sentence on June 24, despite returning to Ghana on June 9 to face the execution of the court’s judgment. The opposition says the 15-day delay raises concerns about the enforcement of the court’s ruling and has questioned the government’s handling of the case. Minority disputes government’s account Addressing a press conference in Parliament, Nana Agyei Baffour Awuah,…
Eight countries have officially been eliminated from the 2026 FIFA World Cup after failing to qualify for the knockout stage. With the expanded 48-team tournament nearing the end of the group stage, eight nations have already seen their campaigns come to an end. A total of 16 teams will be eliminated before the Round of 32 begins. Several teams were knocked out after losing their opening two matches, leaving them with no chance of advancing. Others were eliminated after finishing bottom of their groups following the final round of fixtures. The eight nations confirmed to be out of the tournament…
The United Nations’ International Maritime Organization (IMO) has suspended its planned evacuation of more than 11,000 sailors stranded in the Strait of Hormuz after a cargo ship came under attack in the strategic waterway. IMO Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez said some vessels had already been evacuated. However, the operation has been put on hold until authorities can confirm that safe navigation conditions remain in place. Cargo ship attacked near Oman The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) agency reported that a cargo ship was struck by an unidentified projectile about 7.5 nautical miles southeast of Oman’s Port of Dahit on Thursday. No…
Nollywood actress Ini Dima-Okojie has announced the birth of her first child, a baby boy, with her husband, Abasi Ene-Obong. The actress shared the news on Instagram on Wednesday in an emotional birthday message, revealing that she recently welcomed her son and is embracing a new chapter as a mother. Ini explained that unlike previous birthdays, which often featured glamorous photoshoots and carefully planned themes, she chose to mark this year’s celebration with a photo taken on the day her son was born. “Every year, my birthday comes with a photoshoot, glam, and a carefully planned concept. This year, none…
The Deputy Director-General of the Narcotics Control Commission (NACOC), Alexander Twum-Barimah, has raised concerns about the growing sale of cannabis-infused products on campuses across Ghana. His comments come after the recent arrest of five students of Central University over their alleged involvement in the production and sale of cannabis-related products. According to NACOC, preliminary investigations suggest the students were producing and selling cannabis-infused ice cream, sobolo, toffees, pepper and eggs. They were also allegedly dealing in raw cannabis. The suspects are currently assisting with investigations. Students using campus activities to sell products Speaking on Accra-based Joy FM on Thursday, June…
Former Chief Justice Gertrude Araba Esaaba Sackey Torkornoo has filed an application at the Supreme Court seeking a review of orders issued in proceedings related to petitions for her removal from office. The application, filed under Article 133 of the 1992 Constitution and Rules 54, 55 and 56 of the Supreme Court Rules, asks the apex court to revisit its ruling delivered on May 28, 2026, after it consolidated two related actions before the Court. Justice Torkornoo argues that the orders made on that date resulted in a miscarriage of justice and denied her the constitutional right to be heard.…
More than 160 people have been confirmed dead after two powerful earthquakes struck Venezuela on Wednesday evening, causing widespread destruction in the capital, Caracas, and several other regions. The earthquakes, measuring 7.2 and 7.5 in magnitude, hit within seconds of each other at about 6:00 p.m. local time, triggering panic, collapsing buildings and leaving hundreds injured. Authorities have warned that the death toll could rise significantly as rescue teams continue to search through rubble in some of the hardest-hit areas, where communication and power disruptions have hampered emergency operations. Rescue efforts continue amid widespread devastation Emergency workers have been combing…
Editor of The Herald newspaper, Larry Dogbey, has been sentenced to seven days’ imprisonment by an Accra High Court in a case linked to the newspaper’s reporting on businessman Kevin Okyere and Swiss multinational company Petraco SA. Dogbey disclosed the development in a social media post on Thursday, June 25, 2026, shortly after the court’s decision. “Justice Isaac Addo of an Accra High Court has just convicted me and sentenced me to seven days’ imprisonment in the case involving Kevin Okyere and Petraco SA,” he wrote. The specific grounds for the conviction were not immediately detailed in Dogbey’s statement. Reports…
Kenyan prosecutors have approved murder charges against eight students accused of involvement in a deadly dormitory fire that claimed the lives of 16 students at Utumishi Girls’ School last month. The tragic incident occurred on May 28 at the boarding school in Gilgil, approximately 120 kilometres northwest of Nairobi. The fire swept through a dormitory housing more than 200 students, leaving 16 dead and dozens injured. According to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP), investigations found sufficient evidence to prosecute the students, who are aged between 15 and 18. “Upon careful assessment of the evidence, the Director…
Brazilian football icon Ronaldinho has announced a surprise return to competitive football at the age of 46 after signing for Italian third-division club Ravenna FC. The former Ballon d’Or winner, who retired from club football in 2015 after a spell with Fluminense, is set to begin a new chapter in Italy’s Serie C, more than a decade after stepping away from the professional game. Ronaldinho said the opportunity arose through his long-standing relationship with Ravenna owner Ignazio Cipriani, describing the move as a natural decision built on years of friendship. “We have been friends for many years, so it was…